Students from around the world enrich the educational experience of all students. A number of students attend under an F-1 Student Visa while others study under some other type of Visa.
Recent international students have come from:
|Central & South American Countries
||The Ivory Coast
About Kishwaukee College
Kishwaukee College is an accredited State of Illinois public community college that awards two-year associate degrees. These degrees prepare students to transfer to a college or university to complete bachelor's degrees.
The college is located in Malta, Illinois just six miles west of Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Illinois and 70 miles west of Chicago. Kishwaukee College is authorized by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) to enroll non-immigrant alien students.
Admission Requirements for International Students
Kishwaukee College is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students. Applicants who are citizens of foreign countries are eligible for admission to the College upon their completion and review of the following requirements:
- Complete an International Student Application for admission to Kishwaukee College. A non-refundable $15 processing fee will be collected at Registration.
- Submit a copy of your passport to the College.
- Send official copies of your evaluated high school and college transcripts to the College. Evaluations can be performed by one of the following organizations: ECE, ACEI, or WES.
- Provide proof of written and oral English competency by submitting official copies of scores from the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)or IELTS (International English Language Testing System). Kishwaukee College requires a TOEFL score of 61on the Internet-based Test (iBT) or 500 on the Paper-based Test (PBT). A minimum band score of 6.0 is required on the IELTS Academic test. An alternative option is successful completion of Level 109 at an ELS Language Center.
- Submit an International Student Statement of Finances to demonstrate that you have adequate financial resources to meet your educational expenses. Kishwaukee College requires that all F-1 visa status applicants submit evidence of adequate financial support to cover costs of attendance for at least one full year of studies. This support may be provided through any combination of personal or sponsored funds.
If supported by personal and/or family funds, submit signed International Student Statement of Finances and original bank statement reflecting an available bank balance equal to or greater than $23,328 for Fall 2020-Spring 2021. An additional $4,200 is required for each dependent. Personal bank and sponsor letters should be signed or stamped by the sponsor/bank official and can be sent by mail, fax, or email. These documents cannot be older than ninety (90) days from the initial term start date.
- All international students who are transferring from a college or university, within the United States, must have the International Transfer to Kishwaukee College form completed by the institution last attended. They are also required to submit copies of their current and former I-20s, I-94 record, and I-901 SEVIS fee receipt.
All documents can be sent to the following address:
21193 Malta Rd
Malta, IL 60150-9699
- Once students receive their I-20 from Kishwaukee College, they must pay the I-901 SEVIS fee at www.fmjfee.com prior to visa appointment. The I-20 will be mailed via the United States Postal Service and can only be delivered to the student.
- The application and all required materials must be completed and received by the following deadlines:
- Fall Semester (beginning in August) - June 15th
- Spring Semester (beginning in January) - November 15th
- Transfer students or F-1 Students already in the United States have until July 1st or December 1st.
All documents submitted to Kishwaukee College become property of the college and will not be returned to the student.
Any international student must register for a minimum of 12 semester hours credit each semester. At least 9 credits must consist of in-person instruction.
The 2020-2021 tuition rate for international students holding F-1 visas is $441.00 per credit hour. There are additional charges for registration and course fees.
Final approval for admission of international students rests with the Office of the Vice President of Student Services. Questions on the International Student status?
For more information on studying in the states please visit https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/.
Housing and Transportation
As a community college, Kishwaukee College does not have any on-campus housing for students. Most international students live in DeKalb, Illinois in apartments located around the Northern Illinois University campus. The DeKalb community offers a variety of restaurants, cultures, and activities, many of which are centered around the university.
Students who do not own a car travel to Kishwaukee College by bus. A bus schedule and bus pass will be available at the time of registration. A directory of apartments in DeKalb is also available from the Student Services office.